Social Media and The Law: 6 Social Media Best Practices for Law Firms
Take advantage of social media for your law firm
Social media is essential to every industry, including the legal profession. A smart, effective social media strategy can help you market your services and attract new business.
Here are 6 social media best practices for your law firm
1. Determine your purpose for using social media.
An effective social media strategy hinges on determining what you want to accomplish. You might wish to sign new clients or establish your firm as an expert in a certain area, such as criminal defense, civil rights, intellectual property or corporate law. Once you’ve established a goal, you will be better equipped to come up with a plan to reach that goal.
2. Choose the social media platforms you want to develop.
There are dozens of social media platforms out there. You need to decide which platforms you want to develop or grow. Facebook remains one of the most popular. You can have a page for your firm and also take advantage of Facebook’s paid advertising platform, which lets you target potential business based on geographic location, age, profession, gender, income, and a variety of hobbies and interests.
One platform you should definitely cultivate is LinkedIn, which is geared specifically toward working professionals. You can establish a company profile and also use the network to connect with groups and individuals in your areas of specialization. A good profile will include a complete list of your services, areas of expertise, and an easy way to contact you. Individual attorneys and other legal professionals in your firm can also have their own personal profiles, which increases the likelihood of others finding you.
Other popular social media platforms include Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and more.
3. Be active on social media.
You can’t simply set up a Facebook page or LinkedIn account and then walk away. You must post on a regularly to help attract new followers and increase engagement. If someone visits your page and sees you haven’t posted anything for weeks, they will move on.
4. Avoid being a salesman.
Social media is not about making a sale. The point is to be “social” and engage followers in meaningful ways. You can do that by becoming a trusted resource and authority in a particular specialty and by showing your human side.
Here are some suggestions of things you can post that won’t seem like a “sales call”:
Post original content
Post links to blogs (either your own or another trusted source)
Share content and articles from trusted resources such as news organizations, newspapers, trade magazines, and legal publications
- Post industry news
- Answer questions from followers
- Highlight videos or news segments that are relevant to your firm or areas of specialty
- Post updates on the latest happenings at your firm such as new hires, attorney profiles, and company events
- Post pictures from community events in which you took part. (e.g. If your firm participated in a Breast Cancer Walk or a holiday toy drive, highlight that.)
If you want a good idea of how to balance “selling” versus “engaging,” follow the 80/20 rule. According to WiseStamp, “80% of the content that you share should be about your customers; answering their questions, retweeting links and sharing articles that they will find valuable. The remaining 20% can be sales oriented shares.”
5. Blog regularly.
Blogging is an easy way to establish your firm as an expert. Blog posts should be relevant to your firm’s main areas of practice. If you aren’t going to have a dedicated person responsible for creating posts (or if you don’t want to outsource the task) it might be a good idea to have attorneys or other legal professionals take turns writing original posts. Blog posts can then be used as content on your social media channels. Followers can also share the posts on their social media channels, increasing your reach.
6. Include a clear call-to-action everywhere.
Include contact tools on each page you manage, as well as your website and blog. Contact information should include your website, email, and phone number.
Social media is one of the best ways to attract and engage potential clients. Develop your policy to ensure you aren’t missing out on this important marketing tool.
At Boss Certified Realtime Reporting, we’ve been providing nationwide court reporting services for trials, depositions, mediations and more since 1995. If you’d like help or more information, you can call us at 954 467 6867 or complete our contact form to let us know how we can assist you.